Events and festivals have an impact on the environment and as event producers, we believe we have a role to play in taking action against issues relating to climate change and protecting the environment. We also believe that we have a responsibility to communicate these actions to our audiences (and hopefully inspire them to make change too!). We can’t promise you that we are going to save the world, but we are committed to minimising the environmental impact of our events and adapting our work to make it more sustainable in the long-term. We are at the start of our journey and there is a long way to go, but we are committed to making a difference.
Our mission is to produce memorable, creative experiences which have a positive impact on our communities, whilst minimising negative impact on the environment.
Some of our steps so far:
- We have created an environmental sustainability strategy covering management, artistic programme and event production and delivery with annual targets for waste, transport, water usage, energy.
- We are committed to using recycled materials or materials that can be recycled during our workshops and community projects
- We create site décor that can be reused each year
- We create light artworks that we tour to other festivals which enhances the life span of the work
- We use local suppliers where possible.
- Our light installations are made as energy efficient as they can be and many use low energy LEDs. We power off throughout the day and overnight
- We are working with the Light Up The North network to collectively reduce our impact across the light art sector
- We are working with the charity Ecolibrium to help balance the carbons emissions from those travelling to the event by donating to their Trees+ programme
- We are working with local public transport providers to increase sustainable travel to the event as well as encouraging more people to car share
- We work with traders to ensure packaging is suitable for recycling and we are eliminating the use of single use plastics.
What can you do?
If you attend any of our events, there are a few simple things you can do to help reduce their environmental impact:
- Use public transport to travel to the event
- If you have to drive, car share where possible
- Use recycling bins at the event to dispose of your waste
- Bring water bottles and resuable cups to the event